THE 2016 IRONMAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TO AIR ON NBC DECEMBER 10 AT 2:30 P.M. ET
The 25th anniversary of the IRONMAN World Championship NBC Special shows the magic of Kona through the stories of Champions and Inspirational Athletes; IRONMAN World Championship Kona Preview Show to air on NBCSN December 9 at 9 p.m. ET
The annual NBC broadcast special of the IRONMAN® World Championshipwill celebrate its 25th anniversary this Saturday, December 10 at 2:30 p.m. ET when it chronicles this year’s edition of the iconic triathlon that took place on October 8, 2016 in Kailua-Kona, Hawai`i. For over 35 years, the IRONMAN World Championship triathlon has showcased not only the raw power and competitive nature of the top endurance athletes in the world, but also some of the most awe-inspiring and impactful stories of courage and determination from the age-group athletes and everyday individuals competing alongside them.
The 90-minute show will provide viewers an all-access experience as more than 30 cameras captured the
action from the Hawaiian blue skies, across the barren lava fields and under the water of Kailua Bay during the 140.6-mile challenge.
The broadcast special spans from the pre-race build-up to the big day, unveiling the intensity, emotion,
physical demands and dramatic competition as more than 2,300 athletes representing 64 countries and
territories swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles and run 26.2 miles across rugged Hawaiian terrain, proving that
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE®.
Among the features of this year’s IRONMAN World Championship special:
- Exclusive interviews from current and former World Champions and other professional IRONMAN® athletes
- 2015 Female IRONMAN World Champion Daniela Ryf of Switzerland looks to claim victory for the second year in a row with a performance that will be hard to match
- Blistering race pace by Olympic Gold medalist and male IRONMAN World Champion Jan Frodeno of Germany who has reached the top heights in every level of triathlon
- First-time journey of the inspiring Team Agar duo of father Jeff and his son Johnny, who battles cerebral palsy, teaching us that in life “sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn”
- Breaking barriers with Shirin Gerami as she becomes the first Iranian women to compete in and finish an IRONMAN triathlon
- The incredibly determined journey of Australian Turia Pitt who, against the odds, returned to competing in endurance events after suffering burns to 65% of her body when she was trapped by a grassfire while competing in an ultramarathon.
- Age is just a number to 83-year old Japanese athlete Hiromu Inada, who is determined to become the oldest IRONMAN finisher ever after missing the cut-off by six seconds in 2015.
- Longtime sportscaster Al Trautwig will again narrate the annual special and offer viewers a front-row seat to one of the most captivating events in sports. A programming fixture on NBC since 1991, the IRONMAN
- World Championship special has garnered more than 50 Emmy Award nominations and won 16 Emmys along with many other accolades.
- NBC Sports Network will also air the IRONMAN World Championship Kona Preview show this Friday, December 9 at 9 p.m. ET. Get an introduction to the world of IRONMAN triathlon and the World
- Championship race that has made the sport what it is today. For more information about the 2016 IRONMAN World Championship, the NBC broadcast special and the Kona preview show, please visit www.ironman.com.