Join in on the 2021 Akron Marathon! There are 150 days until the FirstEnergy Akron Marathon, Half Marathon & Team Relay scheduled for Saturday, September 25th and space is filling up!
2021 2021 Akron Marathon Event Capacity
Full Marathon 70%
Half Marathon 40%
Team Relay 30%
Earlier this month, the Akron Marathon announced a return to a Downtown Akron start, a new course, and a new finish line.
This year’s course was redesigned with a focus on the health and safety of all participants, adhering to current mandates related to COVID-19 public safety orders, and following social distancing protocols. VIEW COURSE MAP.
Major changes include:
- The new start line location, back to Downtown Akron: The starting location at the intersection of Broadway and East Market features the Akron Art Museum and was selected to allow traffic into downtown for those starting in the later waves, minimizing logistical issues due to an active racecourse.
- Revised course: The new course features a few familiar sections of previous courses, highlights various neighborhoods and landmarks, and will also have self-serve fluid stations.
- Half Marathoners will experience North Hill, The University of Akron, Firestone Park, and will run a brief section of the downtown portion of the Towpath Trail before their South Main Street finish.
- Marathoners will enjoy a return to the Ohio Erie Canal Towpath Trail leading to the Merriman Valley, Sand Run Metro Park, West Akron neighborhoods, Stan Hywet, and a downtown finish.
- New relay legs: New distances based on the revised course with minimal transportation points include:
- New finish line: Runners will finish on South Main Street at Lock 3 in the heart of Downtown Akron. This new location is due to scheduling conflicts related to a later-finishing Akron Rubber Ducks season.