Trying to get kids out the door, get in a workout, eat a healthy breakfast and then trying to get yourself out the door in the morning is quite the task. As fall rolls near that cold morning yogurt and granola is not sounding quite as good. So we reached out to registered nutritionist Deanna Segrave for this healthy vegetarian breakfast burrito.
This breakfast burrito is the perfect post-run meal as it packs a protein punch with egg, kale, mushrooms and cheddar wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. This recipe is simple, healthy and tasty.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (I use baby bellas)
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Cabot Alpine Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas (I make my own using Lindsey @ Lean Green Bean’s recipe: Homemade Wheat Tortilla Recipe
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-heat. Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add kale and sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Sometimes, I add a few teaspoons of water while cooking kale to help steam it.)
- While kale and mushrooms are cooking, in a small bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese, milk and black pepper.
- Turn heat up to medium-high and pour egg mixture into skillet with mushrooms and kale. Stir eggs with spatula frequently to scramble and mix everything together. Continue to scramble eggs until no longer runny, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan and divide egg mixture into two tortillas. Wrap and serve.
I actually like to make these in MASS quantities and toss them in the freezer as a snack to grab on the go. Toss them in the microwave for 1 minute and you have a healthy breakfast or snack that you can eat in the car.