Garmin has released a new version of the popular Edge GPS cycling computers. The new Garmin Edge 520, which will be available late summer and will be the first cycling computer to feature Strava Live Segments out on the road. Lead time appears to be 3 to 5 weeks.
Strava Live Segments, where users can track their in-segment performance in relation to personal best or the time of other riders on Strava. When active, the Edge 520 will give riders a countdown to the segment start and then continuous live feedback throughout the segment, showing whether they are ahead or behind.
Garmin started with the form factor of the popular Edge 500, added in-ride challenges on Strava live segments, color display, connected capabilities and advanced analysis features. The result — Edge 520, the GPS bike computer that’s right-sized for competitive cyclists and packed with the features you crave.
Garmins Edge 520 Features
- Offers in-ride challenges through Strava live segments
- Reports cycling-specific VO2 max and recovery time when used with power and heart rate
- Pairs with compatible ANT+® indoor trainers for data display and control
- Tracks Functional Threshold Power (FTP), watts/kg and cycling dynamics when used with Vector™ or Vector 2 power meters
- Connected features¹: automatic uploads, live tracking, smart notifications, send/receive courses, social media sharing, weather
Edge 520 is compatible with ANT+ sensors, including Varia™ bike radar and lights, speed, cadence, heart rate, Edge and VIRB® remotes and compatible weight scales. It also integrates with Shimano Di2 electronic shifting systems5 to display your current gear on the screen. Edge 520 is also compatible with ANT+ power meters.
When paired with your compatible phone and the Garmin Connect™ Mobile app, Edge 520 offers live tracking, smartphone alerts, social media sharing, weather and wireless uploads. Once your ride is complete, the data can be automatically sent to Garmin Connect™, our online community where you can save, plan and share your rides.
Off the Beaten Path
The compact, rugged form factor and 15+ hour battery life of Edge 520 make it ideal for off-road adventures. It’s also compatible with GPS/GLONASS satellites, so you benefit from more signal options, wherever your ride takes you.