This grilled bread salad puts a bumper crop of summer squash to good use in the form of a classic summer dish. Feel free to substitute other vegetables in this recipe; eggplant, red onion and asparagus would all be great additions.
Serves 4 to 6 • Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods
- 1 demi whole wheat baguette (about 6 inches long), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved, divided
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
Prepare a grill or grill pan for high heat cooking. Grill bread, zucchini, squash and bell pepper about 5 minutes. Flip and grill on the second side until vegetables are tender and bread is toasted, about 5 minutes more. Remove from the grill and keep warm.
Combine half of the tomatoes with vinegar, garlic, oregano, thyme and basil in a blender or food processor and purée until a smooth dressing forms.
Cut bread, zucchini, squash and bell pepper into bite-size pieces. Place in a medium bowl and add remaining tomatoes and dressing. Toss well to combine. Let sit for at least 30 minutes (and up to 2 hours) before serving. Garnish with more basil and serve.